February 5, 2021
What a year 2020 has been (and it’s not over yet)! I thought you might appreciate the following Year in Review from our CEO, Ann Gillespie, who reflects on her first, eventful year at Collington, and how our community’s mission and values served as an invaluable compass through the pandemic and as a roadmap for Collington’s future.
I Chose the Right Tree
Our Rich Soil
Vision – Aspirational
Collington’s vision is to thrive as a community of people living, working and serving together, bringing alive a spirit of collaboration, generosity and mutual respect in our relationships and decision making. CULTURE
We will be a leader and exemplary contributor to the vitality of the larger community , the sustainability of the environment and an innovator in serving older adults. MARKET REPUTATION
We believe successful delivery of the Collington experience must include seamless integration of health and wellness services, strong financial and operational performance, empowerment of residents, team and board members and continual dedication to the pursuit of better ways. NAVIGATION MODEL/LEARNING ORGANIZATION
Creating community for older adults and all they care about inspired by their vision for purposeful lives.
Collington – Kendal Values
- To enhance the quality of life and vitality of those we serve and to foster a sense of community
- An environment of continuing learning
- To encourage and welcome all people
- High quality wellness programs and health care services with dignity
- Physical settings that are sensitive to the aging process
- Practices that sustain and improve our environments and our planet
- Financial designs that contribute to security and serve our social objectives
- High quality work experience for staff
- Excellence and management and governance
- Participation, transparency, and consensus building
- Responsibility in the larger community
- To continue to grow
- An active role in aging issues
- A culture of generosity
- Integrity and high ethical standards
Strategic Plan 2018-2023 (Desired State)
Health and Wellness
Health and wellness programs are a critical component of the Collington experience and a major factor in residents’ decisions to move here. Our holistic health approach fosters and supports residents in achieving their own personal goals for living well, with coordination of services and partnerships on and oﬀ campus. Delivering on that promise requires us to make timely decisions now about our structure, practices and creative oﬀerings.
Collington is not a place, or a program, but a community comprised of residents, team, and Board members and all others who support us. We want to continue to provide all those who come to live, work, serve and partner with us with a culture that is rich in relationships, collaboration, interaction, connectedness, mutual respect and shared values, talents and experiences.
Our primary commitment is to the well-being of its current and future residents and team members. We have an obligation to ensure that we are a strong organization, proactively preparing for changes in our environment and living out the standard of excellence that brings our mission, vision and values to life.
Collington has much to contribute toward shaping the context in which all older adults find fulfillment in their lives. Our learning and successes should be a resource and inspiration to others and sharing them is part of our values. Partnerships and engagement beyond our four walls are the keys to staying vibrant, innovative and competitive in a changing environment.
Master Plan (in progress)
Partnerships & Collaborations
Collington Board of Directors
- Vision and leadership
- Deep Interest in and Passion for the Mission
- Mix of Experience
- Strong Commitment of Their Time and Energy
Collington Foundation: Time, Talent & Treasure
- Mission: To provide and inspire philanthropic support for Collington Life Care Community.
- Vision: To harness our generosity of spirit to nurture the goals and aspirations of all who live, work and serve in our community.
Our Remarkable Culture has Many Branches
Healthy Harvest of Accomplishments
- 5 Star Quality Rating; deficiency free surveys
- Occupancy and Sales
- Medstar Partnership
- Master Planning
- Collington Foundation
- Sustainability Efforts
- Engagement and Community Outreach
Greatest Collective Accomplishment
Our Next Season
- Re-forecasting 2020
- Future Focused
The Mighty Oak Tree
John Ray Ryder Jr.
A mighty wind blew night and day
It stole the oak tree’s leaves away,
Then snapped its boughs and pulled its bark
Until the oak was tired and stark,
But still the oak tree held its ground
While other trees fell all around.
The weary wind gave up and spoke,
“How can you still be standing, Oak?”
The oak tree said, “I know that you
Can break each branch of mine in two,
Carry every leaf away,
Shake my limbs and make me sway.
But I have roots stretched in the earth,
Growing stronger since my birth.
You’ll never touch them, for you see,
They are the deepest part of me.
Until today, I wasn’t sure
Of just how much I could endure,
But now I’ve found, with thanks to you,
I’m stronger than I ever knew.”
The Mighty Oak Tree—John Ray Ryder Jr.